Developers - HOME Program
The County of Santa Barbara is the lead agency for the Santa Barbara County HOME Consortium, which is also comprised of the cities of Buellton, Carpinteria, Goleta, Lompoc, Santa Maria and Solvang. The Consortium is awarded an annual allocation of funds directly from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME). The purpose of the HOME program is to provide decent affordable housing to lower-income households.
The Housing and Community Development Department (HCD) prepares the required Consolidated Plan that assesses housing needs for the Consortium and establishes a five-year plan to address housing priorities. HUD recently approved the 2010-2015 Consolidated Plan, which identifies the following housing needs as priorities for the 2010-2015 operating period:
- New construction/acquisition/rehabilitation of rental housing projects for lower income households including large, small, and special needs households, as well as homeless, disabled and elderly persons
- Permanent supportive housing and Single Room Occupancy (SRO) units to address the needs of the homeless, households at imminent risk of becoming homeless, and/or persons with special needs
- Universal design and accessibility standards to meet specific needs of disabled populations
- Energy efficiency and conservation design measures
- Proximity of projects to employment centers, public transportation corridors, and public services and amenities
Applications for the HOME funds are reviewed as the applications are received and /or as consortium members have eligible projects in their own communities. The Consortium reserves funds for potential housing projects and programs to address the priorities established in the Consolidated Plan. An Action Plan is prepared annually, which details the projects and other relevant data.
The Capital Loan Committee serves as a technical advisory committee to County HCD, reviewing all projects prior the commitment of HOME funding thereto.