Hendry's Junior Lifeguards
at Arroyo Burro Beach County Park
2020 Hendry's Junior Lifeguard Program Update
Due to the continued impact of Coronavirus, we regretfully announce that both sessions for this summer's Hendry's Junior Lifeguard Program have been cancelled. We have explored many program modification options, however we do not feel it will be possible to accomplish our mission safely and effectively, even with social distancing requirements, State, and CDC guidelines. Participants who have already registered and paid will receive a full refund. For refund information, please contact us at JGApps@sbparks.org.
We wish all of you a safe and healthy summer and we will see you in 2021.
The Hendry's Junior Lifeguard Program is a fun and educational training program for 8 to 17 year olds that is instructed by the Santa Barbara County Lifeguards. Hendry's Junior Lifeguards will learn the skills required to be a Santa Barbara County Beach Lifeguard including ocean rescue recognition and rescue techniques, use of paddleboard, first aid and CPR. Our program is designed to improve your child's physical conditioning while emphasizing the importance of safety, respect and camaraderie. Activities include running, swimming, paddling, surfing, water sports, beach games and training drills. In addition, your Junior Lifeguard will learn about marine ecology, the ocean environment, and how they can make a difference to preserve and protect our 'classroom'.
Santa Barbara County Parks offers partial scholarships to support new Hendry's Junior Lifeguard participants! Scholarships are limited and submitting an application does not guarantee an award of the scholarship.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- Eligible households that are currently receiving other low income assistances such as: Free/Reduced Lunch Program, Food Stamps or Supplemental Security Income.
- Only new (first time) students to Hendry's are eligible.
- Your Junior Lifeguard must first pass the tryouts. You will submit your JG application and the "Scholarship Interest Application" at tryouts. Your place in the program will be secured at this point.
- Your qualifying documents may include Free/Reduced Lunch Program, Food Stamps or Supplemental Security Income and must be submitted as soon as possible. You can scan and email all documents to Jon Menzies, Aquatics Coordinator at email@example.com or you may bring or mail these documents to County Administration. The information will be kept confidential and secure but please block out any social security numbers or other sensitive information.
- Scholarships will be awarded on a first come first served basis.
- If awarded, the final cost per student is $100 which includes enrollment in one session, basic uniform items, and a program sweatshirt.
- Those who do not qualify still have an opportunity to pay the registration in full.
Instruction and Supervision
The Hendry's Junior Lifeguard Program will be supervised by Al Fimlaid; a lifelong aquatic professional with 35 years experience as California State Lifeguard. This summer your Junior Lifeguards will greatly benefit from the knowledge and expertise Al brings to this program.
Hendry's Junior Lifeguards are instructed by the Santa Barbara County Lifeguards. All of the instructors have successfully completed an intensive United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) certified Open Water Lifeguard training course and have worked in the field as ocean lifeguards. Instructors are also certified in CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Emergency Medical Response First Aid or greater.
During program hours your Junior Lifeguards will be closely supervised by their Instructors as well as under the watchful eye of on-duty County Lifeguards!
Junior Lifeguard Counselors in Training
The Santa Barbara County Junior Lifeguard Program offers young men and women that are 15-17 years of age the opportunity to become Junior Guard Assistants in preparation for a paid Lifeguard or Instructor position. This volunteer position will operate under the guidance of a Junior Lifeguard Instructor. Candidates must attend the training sessions, TBA.
Al Fimlaid, Aquatic Programs Supervisor
AFimlaid@sbparks.org (805) 729-5028
For more information please email us at SBCOJG@SBPARKS.ORG or call 805-729-5028.