Hendry's Junior Lifeguards
at Arroyo Burro Beach County Park
2017 Junior Lifeguards Summer Camp
Download the 2017 Junior Lifeguard Application
- Session 1: June 19 - July 7, 2017. We will not meet on July 4th
- Session 2: July 17 - August 4, 2017. We will not meet on August 1st
Camp Times: 9:30AM - 2:00PM
For detailed information, download the 2017 Program Handbook
The Hendry's Junior Lifeguard Program is a fun and educational training program for 8 to 17 year olds that is instructed by the Santa Barbara County Lifeguards. Hendry's Junior Lifeguards will learn the skills required to be a Santa Barbara County Beach Lifeguard including ocean rescue recognition and rescue techniques, use of paddleboard, first aid and CPR. Our program is designed to improve your child's physical conditioning while emphasizing the importance of safety, respect and camaraderie. Activities include running, swimming, paddling, surfing, water sports, beach games and training drills. In addition, your Junior Lifeguard will learn about marine ecology, the ocean environment, and how they can make a difference to preserve and protect our 'classroom'.
All new students must attend one of the tryout dates to participate in the program. Students can attend as many tryouts as needed to pass the swim test.
Your Junior Lifeguard will be required to:
- Swim 100 yards using any stroke desired, without fins or assistance. Swim Times are 2:30 for 8 to 11 year olds and 2:10 for 12 and over.
- Tread water for 2 minutes.
- Swim underwater for 10 yards.
2017 Tryout dates have been scheduled on April 24, 2017 and May 22, 2017 at 6:30PM at UCSB Campus Pool off El Colegio Road, next to Parking Lot 29. Remember to purchase your evening parking permit at the parking lot kiosks.
Each three week session is $285 ($245 each additional sibling)
- There is a $50.00 fee for cancellations made up to 14 days before the session begins.
- Within 13 days of session start, only 50% of your total cost will be reimbursed.
A limited number of partial scholarships will be available. Please refer to the program handbook or Scholarship section below for details.
Day-Trip to Santa Cruz Island
Join us on board the Condor Express for a day-trip across the channel to the west end of Santa Cruz Island. Both sessions are encouraged to attend the excursion on August 1, 2017! This will be an awesome water day, and while we will not make landfall on the island, we will spend the day enjoying waters sports, such as snorkeling, paddling, and kayaking!
Space is limited to the first 100 participants who sign up! The fee will be $100 per junior lifeguard or parent and sign-ups are offered with the application. The trip is non-refundable but can be transferred to another Junior Lifeguard or their parent. Because all JG instructors will be on the excursion, there will be no JG's at Hendry's on that day.
Santa Barbara County Parks offers partial scholarships to support new Hendry's Junior Lifeguard participants! Scholarships are limited and submitting an application does not guarantee an award of the scholarship.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- Eligible households that are currently receiving other low income assistances such as: Free/Reduced Lunch Program, Food Stamps or Supplemental Security Income.
- Only new (first time) students to Hendry's are eligible.
- Only one scholarship each year per family.
- Your Junior Lifeguard must first pass the tryouts. You will submit your JG application and the "Scholarship Interest Application" at tryouts. Your place in the program will be secured at this point.
- Your qualifying documents may include Free/Reduced Lunch Program, Food Stamps or Supplemental Security Income and must be submitted as soon as possible. You can scan and email all documents to Jon Menzies, Aquatics Coordinator at email@example.com or you may bring or mail these documents to County Administration. The information will be kept confidential and secure but please block out any social security numbers or other sensitive information.
- Scholarships will be awarded on a first come first served basis and all applicants will be notified of the award before June 1, 2017.
- If awarded, the final cost per student is $100 which includes enrollment in one session, basic uniform items, and a program sweatshirt. Payment must be received by June 12, 2017.
- Those that do not qualify still have an opportunity to pay the full amount by June 12, 2017.
If you, your business, or employer would like to support the Junior Lifeguard Scholarship Fund, you can make a donation through the Santa Barbara County Park Foundation using your PayPal account. Be sure to type, "Junior Lifeguard Scholarship Fund" in the "Add Special Instructions to the Seller" section, or you can send a check to:
Santa Barbara County Park Foundation
Attn: Junior Lifeguard Scholarship Fund
PO Box 91760
Santa Barbara, CA 93190
Please make checks payable to Santa Barbara County Park Foundation and write, "Junior Lifeguard Scholarship Fund" in the memo.
Your donation is tax deductible and will go towards supporting new Junior Lifeguards. We appreciate your support!
Instruction and Supervision
The Hendry's Junior Lifeguard Program will be supervised by Al Fimlaid; a lifelong aquatic professional with 35 years experience as California State Lifeguard. This summer your Junior Lifeguards will greatly benefit from the knowledge and expertise Al brings to this program.
Hendry's Junior Lifeguards are instructed by the Santa Barbara County Lifeguards. All of the instructors have successfully completed an intensive United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) certified Open Water Lifeguard training course and have worked in the field as ocean lifeguards. Instructors are also certified in CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Emergency Medical Response First Aid or greater.
During program hours your Junior Lifeguards will be closely supervised by their Instructors as well as under the watchful eye of on-duty County Lifeguards!
Junior Lifeguard Counselors in Training
The Santa Barbara County Junior Lifeguard Program offers young men and women that are 15-17 years of age the opportunity to become Junior Guard Assistants in preparation for a paid Lifeguard or Instructor position. This volunteer position will operate under the guidance of a Junior Lifeguard Instructor. Candidates must attend the 2017 training dates, TBA.
Al Fimlaid, Aquatic Programs Supervisor
AFimlaid@sbparks.org (805) 729-5028
For more information please email us at SBCOJG@SBPARKS.ORG or call 805-729-5028.