Rebuilding after a major disaster can often be challenging as owners navigate through the permitting process. The Planning and Development Department is committed to streamlining the rebuilding effort as much as possible within the current regulatory framework. Case managers are assigned to each property to help guide homeowners through the rebuilding process. If you have not been assigned a case manager yet, and would like to begin this process, please contact Planning and Development staff by phone at (805) 568-2090 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are some helpful information regarding the rebuild process:
- Guidance for Rebuilding in Montecito and the Permit Review Process
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the rebuilding process
- General P&D information regarding the Montecito 2018 Storm Event
- Guide to Returning to Your Neighborhood: Montecito 2018 Storm Event
- ReadySBC.org - Storm and Recovery Information from the County of Santa Barbara
- Rebuilding Process Flowchart
An interactive map of properties affected by the Thomas Fire and the subsequent January 2018 Storm is available here. Click here for instructions on its use. This map is updated on a periodic schedule and should be used for informational purposes only. For the most up-to-date information regarding your property, please contact your assigned case manager or the Planning and Development Zoning Information Counter at (805) 568-2090.
TIME LIMIT TO REBUILD NON-CONFORMING USES AND STRUCTURES
On November 14, 2019, Planning and Development sent a letter to all property owners affected by the Thomas Fire and subsequent January 9th, 2018 Debris Flow. This letter informed property owners that non-conforming structures are required to be rebuilt within 24 months following damage/destruction. This time limit can be extended by the Director of Planning and Development for good cause, provided a written request for a time extension is filed with the Department before the expiration of the 24 month period. Planning and Development has drafted a template time extension request form for property owners with non-conforming structures to fill out and submit to their case manager. The letters sent to property owners are listed below, along with the time extension request form.
- P&D Letter to Property Owners Regarding Time Limit to Rebuild Structures Considered Non-conforming – Inland Montecito
- P&D Letter to Property Owners Regarding Time Limit to Rebuild Structures Considered Non-conforming – Inland County
- P&D Letter to Property Owners Regarding Time Limit to Rebuild Structures Considered Non-conforming – Coastal Zone
- Initial Time Extension Request Form for Non-conforming Structures and/or Uses