Collection Services

Collection Areas

The County has three different types of collection systems for households in the unincorporated areas: one for the South Coast (from the Ventura County line to the Gaviota Pass), one for the Lompoc unincorporated area (from the Gaviota Pass north to the crest of Drum Canyon and Harris Grade roads), and one for the Santa Ynez and Santa Maria Valley unincorporated areas.

Two franchised waste haulers service five zones in the unincorporated area. You can access the rates for the current fiscal year (July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022) by clicking on your service areas below.

South County Areas

North County Areas

What's Recyclable?

In general, paper, cardboard, hard plastics, metal containers, and glass bottles can all go in your blue recycling bin. Please visit our regional waste reduction website,, for details.

What Shouldn't Go in My Blue Bin?

Please do NOT place the following " worst offenders" in your recycling containers:

Additional Services for Residential Customers

Curbside Battery Collection

Batteries on Blue BinCustomers with residential recycling service in the unincorporated areas of the County can place household batteries in a clear, sealed plastic bag and then place the bag on top of their recycling container on collection day. To prevent rechargeable batteries from catching on fire, residents should tape the positive ends of the batteries with clear tape. Residents in apartments and condominiums with centralized trash and recycling service should contact their property manager for alternative options.

Sharps Mail-Back Containers

Single-family households in the unincorporated areas of the County can contact their waste hauler to request a free mail-back container for the collection of sharps (needles).

Bulky Item Pick-Up

Single-family households in the unincorporated areas of the County can request two free bulky item pick-ups per calendar year for items such as large furniture, appliances, and electronics.

Click here to contact your waste hauler.

If you have any questions, please contact the Resource Recovery & Waste Management Division of the Public Works Department at (805) 882-3600.