Signs and temporary encroachments require road encroachment permits and are generally not allowed.

Traffic related signs

Signs, such as "No Parking", "Children at Play" or any other type which may resemble an official traffic control device cannot be installed by the public in the public right-of-way or on private property where it may attempt to direct traffic in the public right-of-way. Pursuant to California Vehicle Codes, section 21465, which states,

"No Person shall place, maintain, or display upon, or in view of, any highway any unofficial sign, signal, device, or marking, or any sign, signal, or device, or marking, which purports to be or is an imitation of, or resembles, an official traffic control device or which attempts to direct the movement of traffic or which hides from view any official traffic control
device."The Santa Barbara County Public Works Department can only install these signs. It is the responsibility of the Santa Barbara County Public Works Department to determine if such signs are to be posted. Signs of this nature are placed solely for the purpose of Public safety. Only the Board of Supervisors has the authority to create parking restrictions in the County right-of-way. For more information or to submit a formal request for a sign, please contact the Public Works Department at 805-568-3094.


Other signs and temporary encroachments

Other signs and features that are not permitted in the road right of way include:

political signs
shrines or memorials

Any of the above may be removed at any time. However, the department enforces and removes them as  a lower-priority task and generally relies on the owner of illegal encroachments to remove them when notified, unless they are creating an immediate safety concern.