Student Pollworker Program
The Elections Division of Santa Barbara County proudly coordinates a Student Pollworker Program for all Elections. If students meet the requirements, they are assigned to work at a polling place to assist voters with in-person voting. This provides a wonderful opportunity for students to participate in the voting process.
COVID-19 Health and Safety:
The Elections Division is committed to providing a safe and healthy voting experience for our votes and Pollworkers. As part of our preparations for this Election, we are implementing COVID-19 safety measures. We will provide face masks, face shields, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant available at all our Polling Place locations and instruct our poll workers on the proper use of the PPE supplies. We will have masks available for voters that arrive without a mask and have designated voting areas for those not wearing a mask. We will perform health screenings on our poll workers and voters and will ask workers not to come to work if they are sick. We will also be following local public health guidelines and guidelines prepared by the Secretary of State.
- Must be at least 16 years old by Election Day
- Must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Must be a student of good standing attending a public or private secondary educational institution.
- Must be a United States citizen at the time of the election for which he/she is serving as a member of the precinct board OR must be lawfully admitted for permanent residence within the United States.
- Must complete a Voter Registration Card to pre-register to vote, if eligible. Registration will become active when the student turns 18 years of age.
You can register to vote online at: California Online Voter Registration
- Must be available to work from 6:00 am until 9:00 pm on Election Day.
- Must be available to attend a mandatory two hour training class approximately two weeks prior to Election Day.
- Must have signed approval from the school and a parent or legal guardian.
Student Pollworkers are assigned as Polling Place Support Staff. Support Staff are responsible for the following:
- Traffic flow control and line management;
- Health screenings;
- Sanitization of vote booths and frequently touched surfaces;
- Instructing voters on COVID-19 safety procedures (i.e. wearing masks, maintaining 6' social distancing requirements, etc.);
- Assist with curbside voting;
- Assisting voters by answering questions or assisting in completing forms and vote by mail return envelopes; and
- Receiving voted ballots.
Students assigned are required to attend a mandatory online training class where all of the duties are explained. Training will also cover information on COVID-19 health and safety protocols. There are also guides and resources available that explain the job duties.
Student Pollworkers will be paid based on a compensation rate of $16.00 per hour.
If you are interested in working as a Student Pollworker, please click the link below and complete the application.
Please note, positions are filled on a first come, first served basis. Please complete and return your application as soon as possible.