or call (800) SBC-VOTE or (800) 722-8683.
Student Pollworker Program
The Elections Division of Santa Barbara County proudly coordinates a Student Pollworker Program for all General Elections. If students meet the requirements, they are assigned to work at a polling place and assist voters on Election Day. This provides a wonderful opportunity for students to participate in the voting process.
- Must be at least 16 years old by Election Day
- Must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Must be a student of good standing attending a public or private secondary educational institution.
- Must be a United States citizen at the time of the election for which he/she is serving as a member of the precinct board OR must be lawfully admitted for permanent residence within the United States.
- Must complete a Voter Registration Card to pre-register to vote, if eligible. Registration will become active when the student turns 18 years of age.
You can register to vote online at: California Online Voter Registration
- Must be available to work from 6:00 am until 9:00 pm on Election Day.
- Must be available to attend a mandatory three and a half hour training class approximately two weeks prior to Election Day.
- Must have signed approval from the school and a parent or legal guardian.
Student Pollworkers are assigned as Clerks or Traffic Clerks. Clerks work on a precinct board where there are four people assigned to work at different workstations to process voters. Traffic Clerks are assigned at locations where there are multiple precinct tables and in the busier areas. The Traffic Clerk will look up voters by name and direct them to the correct table.
Students assigned to both Clerk and Traffic Clerk positions are required to attend a mandatory training class where all of the duties are explained. There are also guides and resources available that explain the job duties.
The pay for the Clerk and Traffic Clerk positions is $180.00.
If you are interested in working as a Student Pollworker, please click the link below and complete the application.
Please note, positions are filled on a first come, first served basis. Please complete and return your application as soon as possible.