We do NOT provide the following services:
Deputy Marriage Commissioner Information
The Santa Barbara County Clerk-Recorder may appoint individuals as Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioners in order to marry a specific couple on an appointed day.
This means that your friend or family member may be appointed as a Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioner for a Day to perform your wedding ceremony!
Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioner for a Day Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must appear in person to be sworn in and receive a short instruction and paperwork
- Must show valid, government issued photo ID
- You may apply for your commission up to ninety (90) days before the ceremony is performed.
The fee for a deputy marriage commissioner appointment is $51.00.
- Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioner for a Day Application (English)
- Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioner for a Day Application (Español)
Note for Ordained Officiants
If you are currently an 'ordained officiant' (minister, priest, etc.), there is no need to complete an application for appointment as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner of Civil Marriages for a Day; you are already 'ordained' and eligible to solemnize/marry/conduct a wedding ceremony in the State of California. Online ordinations are acceptable provided you meet the requirements defined in Family Code Section 400 .