We do NOT provide the following services:
Name Change Information
The Name Equality Act of 2007 allows you to change your middle and/or last names through the marriage license process. The law does not allow you to change your first name on the marriage license.
You may only change your name through this process at the time the license is issued.
- The current last name of either spouse
- The last name of either spouse given at birth
- A combination of the current middle name and the current last name of either spouse (with or without a hyphen)
- A combination of the current middle name and the birth last name of either spouse (with or without a hyphen)
- The current last name of the other spouse.
- The last name of either spouse given at birth.
- A combination of current or birth last names (with or without a hyphen)
- A new name combining segments from the current or birth last names of either spouse
If you have legal concerns or questions regarding your decision to include or not include a new name on the marriage license, please seek legal advice before purchasing the marriage license.
Local, state, federal, and private agencies each have different requirements regarding which documents are acceptable to change your name on their records following marriage. Please contact these agencies to verify their requirements prior to applying for a marriage license.