Current Recruitment for 2018
On March 1, 2018 Santa Barbara County will start accepting applications for Beach and Pool Lifeguards at Arroyo Burro Beach, Goleta Beach, Jalama Beach, Cachuma Pools, the Joseph Centeno Aquatics Complex and Hendry's Junior Lifeguards. This website will have all current and updated information.
- To apply, you must complete an Employment Application through the Santa Barbara County Human Resources Department. This will be available on March 1, 2018 and must be completed prior to tryouts or training. Once accepted, all correspondence with Human Resources will be by email.
- Download, print and complete the Lifeguard Training Waiver & Release Form. Bring this completed form with you to your first tryout or training.
Lifeguard Training Waiver & Release Form - 18 & Over
Lifeguard Training Waiver & Release Form - Minors
- Beaches only - On March 31, 2018 at TBD location announced on this website you must pass a 1,000 meter ocean swim in under 20 minutes. You will then be invited to the County Lifeguard Rookie Academy on April 7 and 8 at Arroyo Burro Beach.
- If you are successful, you must attend all mandatory training dates including April 21 and 22 at Lake Cachuma and May 19 and 20 at Jalama Beach.
- Pools – You must possess an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certificate or equivalent. Opportunities to earn this with the County are at the Centeno Complex in New Cuyama on April 14 and 15 and at Lake Cachuma Pools on April 21 and 22.
Beach Lifeguard Training
The Santa Barbara County Lifeguards do annual in house training and regular in-service trainings to perfect their craft. Each lifeguard is required to show proficiency in all aspects of aquatic safety, first aid and emergency response. Lifeguards have partnered and trained with the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, Stations 11 (water rescue) and 41, as well as the US Coast Guard and Calstar 7. The County Lifeguard training is certified by the United States Lifesaving Association, and we are proud members of the California Surf Lifesaving Association.