Shake, Rattle & Roll!
2017 Earthquake Exercise
The Emergency Medical Services Agency (EMS) and the Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) program have begun the planning process for the annual Statewide Medical and Health Exercise Program.
This year the scenario is earthquake and will focus on improving your facilities policies, procedures, training and drills. The EMS and PHEP programs are using this scenario to plan an exercise that will allow healthcare coalition partners within the Santa Barbara County to play and test their disaster capabilities.
In preparation for the upcoming exercise please review and plan to attend the trainings detailed below and on the Calendar of Events.
- Workshops: How to Conduct a Full Scale Exercise at Your Facility/Agency
- Santa Barbara: October 27 th, 10:00am-12:00pm, Office of Emergency Management
- Santa Maria: September 28 th, 10:00am-12:00pm, Santa Maria Health Care Center - 2 nd floor Conf. Room- 2115 Centerpointe Pkwy
- Earthquake Training for Healthcare Partners
Hospitals, outpatient providers, dialysis, long term care, skilled nursing facilities and other agencies please choose to attend one of the sessions below.
Please invite safety officers, facilities, managers, emergency preparedness personnel from your facility to attend.
- Santa Barbara: October 10 th, 1:00pm - 5:00pm, Public Health Department-Auditorium - 300 N. San Antonio Rd
- Santa Maria: October 12 th, 1:00pm - 5:00pm, Community Health Centers of the Central Coast - 2050 South Blosser
- All Partners Final Exercise Meeting:
November 6 th, 9:00am-12:00pm Public Health C101/102 - 300 N. San Antonio Rd.
Exercise partners will participate in a final pre- exercise discussion to assure a smoothly functioning exercise on November 16 th. We will review the exercise scenario, triggers for activation, communication between healthcare partners and the DOC, and the coordination of our agency/facility earthquake drills. This will be a time to answer any questions and discuss full scale exercise plans for your facility.
- Exercise Conference Calls
Exercise partners can call in during the designated time to ask questions about forms that need to be submitted, discuss ideas for your facility/agency exercise and answer any questions you may have about the exrecise. Call in information will be sent out prior to the call.
- October 26th 9-10am
- November 2nd 9-10am
- November 9th 9-10am
- Exercise Day for Partners:
- On November 14 & 15th CAHAN alerts will be sent out to healthcare partners
- 8:00am-12:00am PHD DOC activated on 16th
- 9:00am-11:00am Healthcare Partners Participate at their Sites (approximate) on November 16th
- Forms to Submit on November 16th:
- Status Report Form
- Building Assessment
- Schedule of Events and Evaluation Guide
Exercise Objectives are to test ability to:
- Activate disaster plans and public health, outpatient, and hospital operations centers in response to an earthquake.
- Coordinate status and public information between county public health, hospitals, health care, Office of Emergency Services, and California Department of Public Health.
- Operate using roles based on the incident command system (ICS/HICS/NHICS etc.).
- Test hospital and outpatient provider ability to communicate with patients and their families, the community, and essential supply vendors.
- Test ability of health care providers to provide and receive status information via phone, electronic, radio and other means to the Public Health Department Operations Center.
- Test ability to receive and confirm alerts via CAHAN
- Test ability to use established procedures to request medical resources from the Public Health Medical and Health Operational Area Coordinator "MHOAC", and from public health to the region.
- Test ability of hospital or clinic to receive an influx of patients from the community.
In Preparation for the November 16 th Exercise
Intent to Participate Survey
Hospitals & all other partners (includes SNF, LTC, Outpatient Providers, ambulance services, home health agencies, law enforcement, home health, dialysis centers, office of emergency services etc.) please complete the following intent to participate survey by November 14th
- How to Conduct a Full Scale Exercise
- Earthquake Training for Healthcare Partners
- Final Earthquake Tabletop for Healthcare Partners- NEW!!
- Tabletop Template
- After Action Report Template
- Scenario Fill-in the Blank Planning Sheet -NEW!!
- Sample Earthquake Procedure- NEW!!
Forms to Use During the Exercise
- Participation Instructions (UPDATED) for healthcare facilities/agencies including: hospitals clinics, home health, dialysis, skilled nursing facilities, long term care facilities and other outpatient provider provide steps for and links to resources for participating in the 2017 exercise.
Exercise Documentation Forms
- Exercise Plan ( Template) and ( Sample)- NEW!!
- Schedule of Events & Evaluation Guide ( Template) ( Sample)- UPDATED!
- Participant Feedback Form Template
The Status Report Form that pertains to your facility type will be sent to the Public Health Department Operations Center (DOC) Operations Branch via fax, phone, email, radio etc. During this exercise we will not have email communication from 8-11 am for Hospitals and 8-10 am for all other facility types. Completed Status reports can be send from 9-11am on November 16th.
*Hospitals will work with ARES to submit status reports from 9-11am on November 16th and will use a newly developed hospital status report form.
The Resource Request Forms are sent to the Public Health Department Operations Center (DOC) Logistics Branch via email/fax or phone call. Each of the three forms is used to request specific resources (General, Medical and Staff). For this exercise submitting a resource request is optional.
Building Assessment Form- UPDATED!!
Contact Stacey Rosenberger if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 681-4912