To help with social distancing during COVID-19, you do not need to come to your appointment. Please call 1-877-275-8805 or text SBWIC to 85511 for assistance.
Para ayudar con el distanciamiento social durante la pandemia de COVID-19, no es necesario que venga a su cita. Por favor llame al 1-877-275-8805 o envíe un mensaje de texto con SBWIC al 85511 para obtener ayuda.
Find Your WIC Foods During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Encuentra tus alimentos de WIC durante la pandemia de COVID-19
Click the link below for the Expanded Food List:
Haga clic abajo para ver la lista de alimentos expandidos:
Having breastfeeding problems or questions?
Schedule an appointment with one of our Lactation Consultants today!
All our Lactation Consultants are bilingual International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
If you are on WIC or have Medi-Cal, call to make an appointment.
To see the list of locations we service click here.
Why Breastfeeding Matters
- Increasing breastfeeding initiation and duration rates for participants is a priority for WIC.
- The risk of not breastfeeding includes:
- Infants are sick more often
- Lower IQ level
- More diarrhea
- Higher risk for obesity and diabetes later in life
- Mothers tend to miss more work
- Here are some common concerns WIC can help you with:
- Embarrassment about breastfeeding in public
- Time demands
- Returning to work, school or an active social life
- How to help family and friends be more supportive
- Pain or discomfort
- Confidence in your ability to breastfeed
- Dietary concerns
The Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding... Baby's Best Start. Keep It Up!
Breastfeeding has so many advantages over artificial milk and those benefits can continue even if you have to return to work. Your breastmilk is the perfect food for your child and has many unique and special qualities that cannot be reproduced in artificial milk.
Did you know?. . .
- Breastmilk enhances a baby's health, growth and development. It is the ideal nutrition for your baby in the first six months of life and changes to meet your child's changing nutritional needs.
- Breastfeeding contains protective factors that help children fight against ear infections, familial diabetes, lower respiratory infections and other long-term illnesses.
- Breastfed babies are less likely to have chronic digestive diseases and food allergies for the first several years of life.
- Breastfeeding is associated with a decreased risk for maternal anemia, premenopausal breast and ovarian cancer.
- Breastmilk helps your baby's brain development and may improve your baby's IQ.
- Breastfeeding provides an opportunity for mother and child to have special time together.
- Breastmilk is always readily available; there are not bottles to wash or formula to prepare. Night feedings are much more restful.
- Breastfed babies smell better; spit-up and dirty diapers don't smell bad and breastmilk does not stain clothes.
- Breastfeeding your baby has environmental benefits. None of the paper, plastic, tin, or energy necessary for preparing, packaging, or transporting formula are used.
- Breastfeeding produces special hormones in the mother that helps her feel relaxed and loving towards her child.
- It's free!
(Taken from the Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition of Washington State)